Thursday, October 8, 2009

National Poetry Day et al...

In honor of National Poetry Day (today- October 8th), I am posting a poem that I wrote soon after I graduated from high school. It's not my best poem, but it's the only one I have saved on my computer (the rest are at home). Here's what I wrote:

The Epitome of a Graduate

A ridiculous hat
Lofty high atop a dome of knowledge
From 2000
B.C.
To 2000
A.D.
England’s Magna Carta to Tina Turner’s Proud Mary
The dome contains factual capsules
And opinions to be conceived and birthed into the world
To challenge it
They, these opinions,
Remain in the lower chambers of the dome
Waiting, growing
And must be set free from their cages
Lest the roaring lion inside devours them.


I wrote this with the anticipatory feeling that so many high school graduates have, during the summer between high school and college. I had learned all the basics in high school, and I was ready to move on to a higher level- to apply that knowledge and use it in the world to make a difference. Well...I think I am finally getting to that stage, and I've been in school nearly a year and a half already. The reason why? Generals. General classes are a pain! Sure, you can learn a lot from them, but seriously. Some are very unnecessary, especially if I'm going to teach young kids. They aren't going to need to know exactly why the sky is blue. (There are 4 specific reasons; if you want to know, just ask.) And right now I'm in a Hollywood Literature class. Quite frankly, I don't care enough about Hollywood to study about it for an entire semester. But, I'm getting through it, and in 8 weeks I will officially be done with all General classes!

I think that will call for a celebration. ;)



5 comments:

  1. It's so true... that "black hole" feeling we get in those years. I just had 5 students embark on that next level, and they're still having some trouble adjusting.

    Good post!

    Dayne

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is so true...I blame my general classes for my choosing to drop out of college. Although my reason goes much further than that, I still feel like I would have finished if I didn't have so many general courses...I am so proud of you for continuing your journey. The journey that I could not complete. I will...but have not.

    ReplyDelete
  3. A Hollywood Literature class?? Wow doesnt Hollywood just steal from books most of the time? Gratz in stciking it through!! Soon it will all be worth it...I hope.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Have a blessed Thanksgiving!
    Linda

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...