So on Pinterest there are lots of links to tutorials for homemade chalkboard paint. I really wish I lived in a place where I could paint the walls to my liking, but that’ll happen someday. I would love a whole wall with chalkboard paint so I could decorate it however I want and change it any time! But I found a cheap alternative that was super fun to do. Plus I did it on a whim at about 10:30 pm. That’s when the creativity is greatest, it seems. :)
I bought this cute wood frame thingy at Hobby Lobby. Used my 40% off coupon, so it was only a couple of dollars.
To make the chalkboard paint, you can use any type of paint, which is nice because I have a ton of acrylic paint. I just mixed up some colors until I found a shade I really liked. To make it official chalkboard-writeable paint, you have to add some non-sanded grout. Hobby Lobby+40% off coupon= super cheap again. Mix 1 Tblsp. grout with 1/2 cup of paint until it is really smooth. Paint the frame, wall, table, chair, or whatever is going to be your new chalkboard surface until you are satisfied with the thickness (maybe 1 coat, maybe more).
When it is dry, take a piece of fine-grit sandpaper and sand the surface. You’ll also want to “condition” it by rubbing a piece of chalk over the surface and then wiping it off with a slightly damp cloth. Not sure why, but that’s what Pinterest said. :)
When you are done you can decorate it any way you want! I like to put quotes or bible verses, things that are inspiring. My favorite part is that I can change it to whatever I want, anytime I want. So fun and cheap!

No comments:
Post a Comment