Saturday, October 23, 2010

Just some thoughts...

I guess I haven't posted anything in a while! Not that I have many faithful followers to keep from being disappointed...

Lately I've really been contemplating my future. It is a tendency of mine to start to wonder and plan and eventually fret and become anxious about the unknown state of what is to come. I think it is a very natural and human thing to do! But I know this is not what God wants me to do. I've been reminded as of late by several sources that I need to stay in the moment and focus on the present. I need to enjoy the time I do have left here in college and not focus on how that time is slowly dwindling.

I have also been worrying about becoming a teacher. The time is drawing near where I will enter the work force full-time and that is kind of scary! I feel like I am soooo not ready to grow up, at all. I've sort of been analyzing all areas of my life to think about in what ways I need to mature to become that teacher I'm preparing to be. There have been so many things made clear to me, which I am thankful for! (A certain someone has challenged me to examine my life like this, without even realizing he did it!). I am seeking to mature in a lot of ways, but also to keep my child-like wonderment. I don't want to lose my flavor of personality...oh, no.

Another thing I've been pondering is the complexity of life. It is impossible to define life, to wrap it up in a neat little package with a nice sounding explanation. Life is beautiful. Life is messy. It's tough. It's worth it. I cannot express how many instances have solidified these truths to me. Especially in this past year. I feel like I've learned more than I have in any other time in my life. I really just want to keep learning like this at an exponential rate- to be a life long learner not only in the way of knowledge, but of wisdom.

And finally, some quotes. I have really been inspired by a professor of mine as of late. She has worked hard to be where she is today and imparts a lot of wisdom to our class. I don't know if many other students have paid attention to the quotes she has shared, but I certainly have. These two really sum up the area in which I wish to grow in the time I have left being a college student.

"I am determined to be cheerful and happy in whatever situation I may find myself. For I have learned that the greater part of our misery or unhappiness is determined not by our circumstance but by our own disposition." - Martha Washington

"It's up to us to determine our happiness. No one else is in charge. No one else is to blame. No one else gets the credit. Our happiness is tied to our willingness to be responsible for our own moods. That's a certainty- one of few in this life." - Karen Casey

I know growing in all of these ways will not always be comfortable or welcome, but something very necessary and ultimately very satisfying. Just some thoughts...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...