Wednesday, October 19, 2011

Meanwhile, in autumn

There are things you must do in autumn. There just are.

This past weekend has been good for the heart. Being at home for fall break has allowed me to do so many fall things. Marching band. Cornfields. Playing with my black Halloween cat. A bonfire, not without hotdogs and s’mores. A birthday party. Jumping in piles of leaves. Plus many other relaxing, homey things, like bubble baths, making cookies, and sitting around drinking hot tea and reading books. SO good.

In the last few days, fall has passed from being more summer-like to now being on the cusp of winter. Can you feel it? There is a definite chill in the air, much more so than that crisp, invigorating breeze we’ve had for the last month or so. I brought my winter coat back to school with me. I feel like I’ll be needing it soon, since a simple sweatshirt almost did not suffice this morning! I’m not looking forward to winter all that much, because I know it means the weather won’t be warm again for at least 4 months…too long for this girl. I have been doing some thinking on the matter, though, since it seems the majority of bloggers I follow live in Florida, California, or other such places. They envy our winter. Our frost. Our change of pace to seemingly endless cold. I’ve never experienced life sans winter before, so I can’t claim to understand where they are coming from. However, I do see the goodness of it in the fact that summer seems so much sweeter in contrast to the long months of bitter cold. How much more do we appreciate something, when we realize it is missing? That’s how our seasons work. I will hold onto the loveliness of fall for as long as it lets me, and then move on to winter with renewed appreciation.

For now, enjoy the beauty of fall.

October 2011

P.S.- Not sure why I’m cheesin’ in all of these pictures…just keepin’ it real, I suppose. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...