Sunday, August 12, 2012

Statistics show…

So yet another milestone in my life. My first year of teaching.

Not only am I the youngest teacher in the whole school, I am also the least experienced. Not sure how that makes me feel.

During our new teacher training for the district, they showed us a line graph explaining our emotions about teaching from right now on through the future. Apparently, this point in our lives is the most excited we’ll ever be about teaching. This is the peak. From this point on, we face reality, and the graph shows a significant line drop. The honeymoon stage will be over, and things will get really tough. The graph shows that it’ll eventually get better, but it will not be nearly as high as right now.

On one hand, it’s nice to know that people who have gone before us can explain what we should expect. But also, it was kind of a downer looking at that graph. Really? That’s what we have to look forward to? How hard is this going to be??

As always, I’m trying to enjoy my life right where I’m at. So I guess I could explain that as “relishing the calm before the storm.” I don’t know what lies ahead, but I know I’ve got lots of support at my school, a great roommate, and lots of friends a phone call away.

So bring on the unknown. Maybe I can defy the odds, but if not, I know I’ll be making a difference.

1 comment:

  1. Don't be anxious dear. Look at being the least experienced from this perspective: whenever a problem arises, you have a multitude of teachers you can turn to because they've probably dealt with the same thing. And you'll get a ton of different perspectives! Also, I completely believe that you'll defy the odds. :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...