It is hot. Now I'm normally a person who is cold about 95% of the time, so in order for me to complain about the heat, it must be very hot. But not only is it hot, it is incredibly muggy. How interesting the word "muggy" is. I would bet some of my international friends, whose first language is not English, and who may not know the meaning of the word, they might think "Muggy- like a mug?"
Like this?
Or perhaps this type of mug?
Or maybe this?

It really is a strange word. When I think of muggy, however, I think of long, hot, sticky days of St. Louis, where everything is black- from the paved road to the people. Or I think of the county fair, (which I cannot wait for!), getting dusty, dirty, sweaty, sticky, but having FUN. Or playing outside at my grandma's house until she calls us in for a snack- watermelon, honeydew, bing cherries- oh so many delicious summer foods. And of course you cannot forget swimming! My mom waits for the hottest day, slathers on the sunscreen until her face is pasty and she looks like a ghost, and we hit the pool. Afterwards, we always get candy bars (Hershey's Cookies 'n' Creme for me!) because swimming always takes so much energy and makes you hungry. Ahhhh, the lazy, hazy days of summer. Blissful, carefree, and incredibly fun, no matter what activity, no matter how muggy. :)

No comments:
Post a Comment