Thursday, August 20, 2009

A wrap-up of summer '09.


This summer was extremely satisfying. I can say without a doubt that I enjoyed it thoroughly. Although, at times, it was crazy, I did so many things that I really can't think of anything I wish I could have done or had the time for. As I sit here in my dorm room in Kearney, all ready for the school year, thoughts of all my activities and completed projects are flooding my mind. I can't type nearly fast enough! So, I will try to list them as best I can.

In no particular order (only just as I think of them):
  1. I completed 2 online classes, received 6 credits, and got an A and an A-. Not too shabby.
  2. I went to Colorado twice; once in June, and once in July.
  3. My sister and I put together a garage sale and made $250!
  4. I made supper for my family quite a few times. This included salmon and couscous and also seafood fettucine alfredo. YUM.
  5. I worked 20-22 hours a week at the Love Shack...er...the golf shack. :)
  6. I went to both the Lincoln Children's Zoo and the Omaha Henry Doorley Zoo.
  7. The Saunders County Fair. I got the chance to eat food, see 4H projects, go to the Figure 8 race, and ride rides with my cousins!
  8. I spent time with friends I don't often see.
  9. I played piano at Swedeburg Covenant Church several times each month. I love doing that so much!
  10. A friend and I put on a BBQ together for our old (oops...I mean "former"...he's not OLD yet!) band teacher. It was successful, but I think I over-stressed. It was definitely a learning experience.
  11. I went to a movie with my cousin Kate! It has been a tradition to do that for the last 5 years or so, and with the things that happened this past year in her family, I wasn't sure if we were going to get the chance. But things worked out, and it was good!
  12. I studied the entire book of Daniel over 12 weeks (the Beth Moore study...I definitely recommend it) with my grandma Norma and my sister. Daniel has since then become one of my favorite books, and I know that I learned much!
  13. Stir-Up Days- I enjoyed an entire day with Jesse and my friends/family walking around downtown Ashland. I started the day with the Kiddie parade, and ended it with the Rootbeer Kegger in the park. In between activities were such things as eating cotton candy and snowcones, participating in the cake walk, eating BBQ pork sandwiches, entering artwork into the Art Show, and much more I can't really think of right now.
  14. I started blogging more frequently- at least more than once every 3 months!
  15. I read 14 books!

While I'm on a roll with lists, I might as well list all these books I read. I am so thankful for a job that lets me read!!

  • The Shack by William Young
  • The Great Eight: How to Be Happy (Even When You Have Every Reason to be Miserable) by Scott Hamilton
  • Danny Gospel by David Athey
  • Demon: A Memoir by Tosca Lee
  • My Sergei by Ekaterina Gordeeva
  • Tuesdays with Morrie by Mitch Albom
  • Atonement by Ian McEwan
  • One Minute After You Die by Erwin Lutzer
  • Herland by Charlotte Perkins Gilman
  • The Atonement Child by Francine Rivers
  • The Pact by Jodi Picoult
  • Redeeming Love by Francine Rivers
  • Web of Darkness by Sean Sellers
  • The Dead Whisper On by T.L. Hines

I can tell you that my least favorite was Danny Gospel. Dumbest book I've ever read. My favorites were definitely Redeeming Love and Atonement.

Now all I have to look forward to are textbooks. :/




I thought I would be sad to have to leave, to have to accept that summer is coming to a close. But I've been in Kearney for 6 days, and the time has FLOWN. I guess that means I'm having fun. :)
It is so good to be back in a routine, back with friends, back with normal life. Summer is amazing, but if it were summer all year round, it wouldn't be the same type of summer. It wouldn't be as satisfying, because we wouldn't have anything to contrast it with. And as much as I love summer, I don't even come close to disliking school. It's a challenge; it takes perseverance like no other to take 18 credits and do so many activities, but I wouldn't change it. I love Kearney, I love my friends, and I love learning (even if it does take a lot of work). Trying to slow down time or speed things up is just silly. I love being where I am, right now, wherever it may be. I just want to enjoy my time when I'm young so that I will not look back when I'm 70 and wish I would've enjoyed it more. I've always been one to enjoy life, and I am very thankful I possess that trait. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...