
So. I thought I was not going to blog nearly as often as I was summer, since school is in session and from it are so many new demands. But this seems not to be the case...yet. We'll see how long it will be until I'm absolutely crazy with schoolwork. Lately, it seems as if I come up with something new to write about almost every day. I've had so many ideas in my head for the past who-knows-when, and so I'm just going to pick one to write about today. Today's topic is.........songs that will forever remind me of my freshman year of college.
Every so often, when I'm riding in the car with my mom, she'll hear a song on the radio that evokes a strong or reminiscent emotion. She will say to me "this song reminds me of the summer of 1977..." or something along those lines. These songs (all on 99.9, the "old people station"), mostly remind her of her college days. "Well," I thought to myself the other day, "do I have any songs that remind me of my college days?" Of course they've just started, but I do have a whole year under my belt. :)
The songs that remind me of my freshman year of college are:
1. One Step at a Time, by Jordin Sparks
We did this song in our lip sync competition during Homecoming...in fact, it is on youtube here: Lip Sync
2. Africa, by Karl Wolf
This song was played at least once at every dance I went to, from the Stout stoplight dance to the Honors dance in Martin Hall. It is just great.
3. Bowl of Oranges, by Bright Eyes
Jesse gave me this song sometime last fall, and I liked it a lot- it is such a happy song. I would listen to it every time I drove to the Northridge Retirement Center, where I spent time doing my service learning. Just hearing that song makes me want fall so bad...
4. Poker Face, by Lady GaGa
Every time I would go into the bathroom on our floor, the radio was playing this song. No joke. And although I don't like a lot of songs in this genre, this one was super catchy. Plus Johnny Weir skated to it. :)
5. The Revelation Song, by Hillsong United
This song was sang pretty frequently whenever I went to church at Kearney E-Free. I had never heard it until I did at that church, and the girl leading the singing had such a pretty voice. I immediately was like "I love it. I need to buy this song." I listen to it all the time now and I always think of that church when I do.
I absolutely love how music has the ability to take you back to a certain time in your past. I could probably say something about any song I have ever heard...like where I've heard it...when I first listened to it...who it reminds me of. Songs are not only special because of their lyrics, but also because of the powerful feelings that are connected with it. Those feelings can awaken wonderful memories, ones full of joy and excitement. Music, though, can also bring back heartache and grief- like maybe a song that was special to you and a loved one who has died, or a song that belonged to you and an old lover. I hope that most of these feelings are good, but I know that the bad ones are certainly going to be there, too- this is life, after all, complete with its imperfections and insanities. Some of these songs go down so deep that I know I will never, ever forget them- or the feelings connected with them. Even if, someday when I'm old, I get dementia, I know that music will always bring back my past and those few memories will not die. Because of music, my emotions will be remembered.
Now, the important question. Are there any songs that remind you of the past? Good...or bad- I want to hear about 'em!

Don't have any particular songs in mind now, but I'd also like to add that it is also very interesting how when a person has his/her first crush every single song suddenly makes perfect sense...as though each song was written especially for him/her at that particular moment!
ReplyDelete-----------------------
You're more than welcome to come visit the Tea House at http://teatimereflections.blogspot.com