Friday, August 13, 2010

Big and small provision

I'm moving back to college soon and I've been looking for more dorm stuff throughout the summer. First of all, I've gotta say that when I get an idea I want to carry it out NOW. I literally drop everything to pursue a new project...this has its ups and downs. Sometimes being like this is good, because it is certainly a strong motivator. But it also can become an obsession...I cannot rest until I have done what I've set out to do.

So back to the search for more dorm supplies. I needed some plates that would be microwave safe. The problem is, most of the cutesy inexpensive ones aren't. I seriously looked and looked...everywhere...at nearly every store you can name. I was on a quest to find the perfect dinner plates to suit my dorm lifestyle.

Well, I didn't find them. Every time I found something I liked they were either not microwave safe or they were too breakable or too expensive or too flimsy. It drove me crazy not being able to find something I could so perfectly imagine/design in my mind! So I quit looking...I decided I could use paper plates (even though in my mind I was grumbling).

We were in South Dakota last week and were hungry one day, so we stopped at a tiny supermarket. I can't even tell you what it was named...it's wasn't Walmart, though. My family and I were browsing the aisles, looking for something to tide us over until dinner that night, when I found them. Them? Yes, them. $1.99 each, green and purple (the colors of my room), microwave safe, beautiful plates! I was so pumped! I know it doesn't seem like a big deal, but I was so happy. God provided me with what I needed, even wanted. Right down to the exact colors. Wow!

This may seem like a silly story, but to me it speaks volumes. If I can trust God to provide something as insignificant as dinner plates, how much more can I trust Him with the big matters in my life? Through this, God explained some of my worries. Frankly, I am worried and frantic about getting married. I know I'm young, but I feel as if I'm always on the lookout for someone. But God has revealed, through my little search for dinner plates, that if I stop worrying and stop busying myself with searching, He will provide. He wants me to trust Him. How can I trust if I continue to search on my own? I believe that, just like my beautiful green and purple plates, God has someone amazing out there for me. What do I have to do? Stop searching and trust. God doesn't disappoint.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...