A list of summer accomplishments and activities (in no real order):
1. I worked at a daycare, and with that I learned a lot about babies.
2. I also worked at a pool, which allowed me to get a nice tan!
3. My family and I took a short trip to Minnesota for my uncle's 75th birthday party. It was a good time!
4. Every other week I cleaned house for a neighbor friend of my grandma. I loved that I got paid in dollars and sometimes also vegetables. :)
5. I was able to go to Worlds of Fun twice...both times with good friends.
6. I also got to go to the Henry Doorly Zoo twice...once with family and once with UNK friends.
7. The Saunders County Fair was not missed! I had fun riding rides (including the Octopus with the unforgettable pink car...ahem) and eating turkey legs and funnel cakes with my cousins!
8. I did some catching up with friends I don't get to see when I'm at school...some of them I only see once a year or so.
9. My grandma, my sister, my friend Kayce, and I all completed the Beloved Disciple bible study by Beth Moore. Definitely one of the highlights of summer!
10. My sister and I got to spend the whole Saturday of Stir-Up Days wandering around Ashland. Included in that day were the parade, cake walk (I won a cake!!), art show (Melo got a blue ribbon!), ice cream social, snow cones, and root beer kegger.
11. The last week before I came back to school my family and I went to the Black Hills. We visited friends and family, as well as our favorite vacation spots. My favorite part was visiting my 3rd cousin Kate and her family on their ranch in Wyoming. We got to ride horses and go 4-wheeling in the dark and have fun exploring the ranch!
12. In July I helped out with VBS at my church. I got to lead four second grade girls...a bunch of fun. :)
13. I was asked to help review writing skills with two boys I used to babysit for. I had a good time helping them write informative, persuasive, and compare/contrast essays and they did an excellent job!
14. Even though I couldn't go to church very often (only Sunday school), I got to play piano for offertory a couple of times this summer. I just love playing on that grand piano!
15. Several times throughout summer my church friends and I went bowling...my skills actually improved, which I once thought was not possible...ha!
16. Lastly, I got quite a bit of reading done, including:
- A Painted House by John Grisham
- The Confession by Beverly Lewis
- Shiloh Season by Phyllis Reynolds Naylor
- Stories Not for the Nervous by Alfred Hitchcock
- Life on the Edge by Dr. James Dobson
- A Million Little Pieces by James Frey
- The Good Book to Great Health by Arnold Susser
- My Sister's Keeper by Jodi Picoult
- Handle with Care by Jodi Picoult
- The Postcard by Beverly Lewis
- The Crossroad by Beverly Lewis
- Captivating by John and Stasi Eldredge
- Lyddie by Katherine Paterson
I haven't posted any pictures from our latest trip (to the Black Hills/Wyoming), so I will do that now! Even though this post is becoming very long :)
In Custer State Park...an absolutely perfect time of day to take this picture.
Needles Eye from below
Melo and I went to Storybook Island in Rapid City for a few hours. I added this, or something like it, to my list of things to accomplish in my lifetime. I would LOVE to open up a park like this someday!
Melo in Yogi Bear's pic-a-nic basket
Me in the Hundred Acre Wood
101 Dalmatians :)
This is my cousin Kate and I in our impossibly cool hotel suite. It cost us less than it would to stay at Super 8 and it was full of antiques and was beautifully decorated. The older couple who run it also made us a hot breakfast for free the next morning...I definitely, definitely recommend it if you are ever in Hot Springs. You can choose from the Miner's Suite (the one we got), the Oriental Suite, Cowboy Suite, or Victorian Suite.
Real life Lopers!
Summer never ceases to bring me more memories!

No comments:
Post a Comment