Seriously…think about it. Language is so complex. A toddler learns with ease…how? Is there truly a “language acquisition device” in our brains? I don’t even know how many languages there are in the world. 5,000? More? Maybe so. I never thought the biblical story of the tower of Babel was much of anything when I was a kid. Just a bunch of people foolishly trying to build a tower to heaven. But God is so incredibly creative! I’m glad there are lots of languages. I love hearing so many in the classroom each day.
I also think of all the ways we play with language and am amazed. Words with Friends? Crossword puzzles? What about puns, hink-pinks, rebuses, hangman, acrostic poems? Not to mention everyday language. I love the freedom in choosing the perfect way to say something.
“The weather is quite mild today.”
or…
“The sunshine is just perfect.”
or maybe…
“It sure is a beeeeea-U-tiful day!”
You can say it anyway you want it. That’s the way you need it. Anyway you want it. (I think that’s Journey…?) :)
***********************************************************************************************************
I’ve also noticed the difference punctuation makes in emotion.
Exclamation points can be so chipper! Sometimes more than necessary, even!
I am doing great!Periods can sound so dull. And lifeless.
I am doing great.Ellipses make a thought sound incomplete…like you have more to say…but aren’t sure you should say it…
I am doing great…And no punctuation at the end? I think it makes a person look lazy. Like they don’t even take the time to consider which type of punctuation to use, which would convey the correct emotion.
I am doing greatMaybe I’m a nerd. But I think it is just so intriguing how our language works!
***********************************************************************************************************
One more thing. Today in class, I was teaching new vocabulary words to my Level 2 ELL students, when one of my Vietnamese students, ya know…let one. It was really loud. And everyone just lost it. I couldn’t help but laugh, too! There was no hope for refocus for a while. So I just let us all have a good laugh (even the kid who did it). He was laughing so hard he had to get up and get a tissue to wipe the tears from his eyes. The students were almost calmed down again when I asked “How do you say that in Vietnamese?” Then the laughter started up again. It was just so funny! I didn’t know that my genuine curiosity about their word for farting would cause such an uproar. Ha!
Even though I was unsure about teaching high school, I have found that I love coming to school each day and teaching them. They have helped me see our language in a whole new way. And they make me laugh. It’s a good life with the 9-12th grade English Language Learners. :)

You would ask them that! Though now I'm curious, did you ever find out how to say it in Vietnamese?
ReplyDeleteNo, I never did! They were giggling too much. :)
ReplyDeleteThank you so much for your sweet comment on my blog yesterday! I so appreciated it.
ReplyDeleteYou are teaching English in Vietnam? What an experience! I have two friends who are doing the same in Korea and I love hearing about their experiences and the things they are learning. It seems like such a brave and exciting thing to do. Good luck to you!
And thanks again for your kind words! :)