Today was a garage sale-ing day.
I think my weekends this summer will be filled with lesson planning, looking for Kindergarten ideas on blogs, and going to garage sales. Using a teacher’s classroom filled with stuff as I teach summer school has made me realize how much stuff I don’t have. I need more books, more storage/bins/baskets/bookshelves, and even small things like binder clips. I want my students to have the best possible year- I don’t want to cheat them because I’m a first year teacher and haven’t accumulated all that stuff yet! So I’m working on it. It’s a process. If you have any teacher things you would like to give me, or know of anyone who has things they don’t need anymore, hit me up. I would greatly appreciate it!
So I just want to say how much fun it is to take a morning and go to garage sales. I know they usually have ads in the paper so you can plan your route beforehand, but I like to leave it up to spontaneity. I just drive around and stop at pretty much every one I see. Sometimes you can judge from the road whether or not it’s a good one, but sometimes the most treasured possessions are hidden at the most unexpected places. My favorite things to buy are children’s books! I love when people price them reasonably. I feel ripped off when I have to pay a dollar for a book…I just want to say “You know, SOME places I could get 6 books with this dollar!” It’s true. You’ve gotta be on the lookout. Sometimes, though, I almost pull up to a house only to realize that, um, it’s not a garage sale. They’ve just got a lot of junk in their yard. And their garage is open. With more junk in it. Ooops…
Despite those instances, most places are easy to find. Just follow the maze of neon pink signs with writing so small you have to pull out eyeglasses to read the address. Thankfully most have at least a big black arrow pointing in the general direction. Once you find a location, then the scouting begins. Even though mullets are out of style, and most people generally don’t wear light-washed, high-rise jeans, it’ almost inevitable to see the 1990s dust itself off and come out of hiding at a garage sale. And really, sometimes I’m tempted to buy those $3 roller blades or that Mary-Kate & Ashley VHS or those Lion King McDonald’s toys. It takes me back! I resist, though. I’m saving my pennies for classroom stuff.
It’s been a lovely day of sifting through junk to find treasures (a lamp I’m going to redecorate, quite a few books, and some paper trays)! Add to that some crisp, home-grown cucumbers from the farmer’s market, and smelling the freshly cut grass while on a run through the neighborhood. That sounds like summer to me. :)

That sounds like so much fun! I wish I could go garage-sailing and get stuff for living on my own next year!
ReplyDelete