I’ve never considered myself to be a crafty person when it comes to furniture. I’ve never really considered furniture, actually, until now that I’m moving and most of mine is too big to move! What’s in my bedroom in my parents’ house is just a random mis-matched dresser, bookcase, and shelves. I’m beginning to think about what I want to have in a house someday, and in an apartment for the near future.
I found a dresser at a thrift store the other day. It’s a small size, and will travel nicely the almost-600 miles I’ll be driving to my new home!
Here is the before picture…
And here it is after I got done with it.
I learned how to distress a dresser…pretty simple, actually. Just rough it up with sandpaper, paint it whatever color you want, and then rough it up with more sandpaper once the paint is dry. I changed the knobs and they’re actually distressed wood, too, painted green (at Hobby Lobby for two bucks a piece). I think it’s cute.
Even though my dresser is distressed, I’m really not. I’m actually pretty excited to move, to live in a place permanently, since the last few years I’ve lived in the dorms at school, in the dorms in Florida, in someone else’s apartment for two months, and at my parents’ house while student teaching. I feel like I practically live in my car sometimes, because I bring so much stuff back and forth so frequently. I’ll be farther away from everyone I know, but it’ll be nice to try something new!

No comments:
Post a Comment