Lately, I've been wishing that I lived in a different century.
More specifically, the 1800s.
I like the modern conveniences of the 21st century, but more and more I have been noticing that they are a little too convenient for some people. Did you know that kids spend about 8 hours a day using electronics? That includes TV, video games, Guitar Hero, internet/computer games, Nintendo DS, and everything in between. Sure, there is the Wii which allows a little physical movement, but not enough to keep kids from gaining weight. No wonder there is such an obesity problem! I am just not a fan of excessive technology.
Secondly, there is sooooo much processed food. It's hard for me, with a meal plan on campus, to find nutritious, wholesome, unprocessed foods. It just doesn't happen. It disgusts me so much to look on a label and find a list of ingredients and chemicals longer than my index finger. Whatever happened to eating fruits and vegetables? They've been surpassed by french fries and the like. And don't even get me started on soda pop! I cringe when I realize there are people who drink pop more than they drink water. No matter what you try to say, carbonated water is NOT the same as flat water. Look up the facts, and you will see that carbonated water blocks your body from absorbing calcium and many other important nutrients. And everything "diet." Now I really won't get started.
As much work as it would be, I would prefer to grow my own everything! We substitute quality for convenience in this day and age. I don't want to put harmful substances into my body, and I wish it was a little easier to avoid doing so. I know that I want to be relatively healthy when I am 70! Or 80, or 90. I plan on living as long as I can, and taking care of my body as well as possible. I know for a fact God wants us to live to the best of our abilities, which He has given us, and that we do not do that if we make stupid choices about nutrition. The facts are out there...here are some...it's up to you how you want to live your life.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

I know what you're saying. Catch myself thinking people in other times and places were more heroic, spent more time together, thought bigger thoughts. Don't really like that past time itself better, just the people there. Then I realize it's always been that way. So can I be that kind of person right now here, who people will look back later and wish they were here?
ReplyDeleteVery good post. Totally agree.
ReplyDeleteThose "other people" from the past were definitely stronger. We're handed everything now, aren't we?