Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Total darkness


Tonight as I was driving home from Lincoln, I marveled at God's infallible constancy. The night sky was pitch black, with only a faint glow of where the sun had sunk into the horizon. I haven't had the time to really look at the sky for quite a while, and it kind of struck me that this particular event happens every single day. EVERY DAY! Wow, that is quite amazing to me. 

I started to think then how scary it would be if the sun set as usual, but come next morning it didn't rise. I know in some parts of the world this happens for part of the year because of location on the earth...that must be frightening. I don't know, maybe they get used to it, but for me I know it would be scary! Nighttime has never been my favorite part of the day, and I doubt my feelings about it would ever change.

I then thought back to Exodus, when the Israelites were enslaved by the Egyptians. One of the plagues was darkness. Now I'm not a scientific person by any means, but I began to think about how this darkness happened. What changed? Did the sun take a different path for three days? How was it that the Israelites still had light, when the Egyptians were in total darkness? During this past Christmas season I watched a documentary called "The Star of Christmas." It was one of the best ones I have seen- it explained what the night sky looked like around the time of Jesus' birth, and uncovered the mystery of the Christmas star. It is so amazing that people today can use mathematical formulas and technology to "see" the skies even thousands of years ago. I remembered this tonight, and wondered "Did anything unusual happen in the sky during the plague of darkness?" I wish I could contact the people who found out about the Christmas star. I am very curious!

If anyone can supply information about this question, do comment! I wish to have my curiosity satisfied; hopefully it will be sometime before I get to heaven!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...