Sunday, June 27, 2010

Daily dose

My dad told me a story he had read or heard one time. I thought it was really cool, although I have no idea where it is from.

A lady had a very ugly clock. You could ask any of her friends about it- they had all noticed it and would tell you that it was such an eyesore alongside the pretty framed pictures and shelved knick knacks surrounding it. One of these friends decided one day to ask her about this ugly clock. The lady began to tell of its origin, explaining that it was made specially for her by her dear grandparents. They were poor people, and wanted to give her a special gift for her wedding. They couldn't afford to buy anything, so they did what they could with what they had. Her grandfather carved the clock out of wood and made the inner-workings. Once he had finished, her grandmother painted flowers on the front- she wasn't a very good painter, and the flowers didn't turn out very well, but it was a special gift all the same. The lady then explained that the clock was, of course, one that had to be wound by hand each day. She took the clock off the wall and showed her friend the most important part. Right above the knob that winds the clock were two engraved words: Forgive him.

This is such a great story. I don't know if it's true, or even based on something true, but I know I would love to have something like that. I don't think I would have the patience for a clock like that, especially in this day and age, but I think if "Forgive him" were written on something I see daily it would be a great reminder! Maybe it could be written on my bottles of penicillin...that's something I will see daily for the rest of my life! (If you haven't heard about that long story, feel free to ask). Anyhow, I just thought I would share.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Kimberly, my name is Jen--I accidently came across your blog and I'm really glad I did. I enjoyed the story of the clock very much--wow. And of course I've never heard your penicillin story, so I have to ask...:)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...