Friday, January 28, 2011

Hungry, anyone?

I wonder if anyone has ever blogged about college cafeteria food before.

I follow a lot of blogs that feature specialty desserts...these dedicated bloggers travel around the U.S. (and sometimes the world) to capture photos of dainty cupcakes, luscious cheesecakes, and every other kind of dessert under the sun. [Sometimes these blogs make me angry, though! How are some people so lucky they get to travel and take pictures of food for a living?! Grrr.]

Anyway. I'm not one of those lucky traveling dessert picture-takers, but I can still make a pretty entertaining blog post about food, can't I? Yes.

For several days weeks months (it seems like it took forever), I made a point to bring my phone to lunch and dinner with me. I think it's pretty interesting the combination of random foods I would choose. But that's what eating in a cafeteria is all about, right?

Here are some of the best pictures I compiled over the last couple of months!

 

******************************************************************************************

See that squished sandwich there? That's supposed to be grilled cheese. However, the international students working at the sandwich bar had nooooo clue how to make it. Lots of explaining was done, and finally...I got a semi-toasted sandwich with not-so-melted cheese in the center. But hey. At least the two Asian dudes know what a grilled cheese sandwich is now!

CIMG0228-1 

 

Oh my. The sun was shining very brightly here...it appears that I had some grapes and some...some...indistinguishable white piles of food. If I remember correctly, it was biscuits and gravy. But oh boy, now it does not look so appetizing!

CIMG0228

 

I love that my serving of Oreo fluff is pretty much the biggest thing on my plate. :P Everything looks pretty good...except I can't tell if that is cauliflower with cheese sauce or banana pudding. Yikes! What was I thinking?!

CIMG0231

 

Yum. Relatively normal.

CIMG0232

 

A well-balanced meal. Bravo!

CIMG0234-1

 

Okay, this one is interesting. This day the cafeteria had a "special pretzel day" where they served several different kinds of soft pretzels. I got one-pizza flavored, I believe- and took a bite. "Hey...I didn't get the cream cheese filled one!" Yeah, it wasn't cream cheese. Our cafeteria is not so good about getting pizza crust and, apparently, pretzels cooked all the way.

CIMG0234

 

Soup, salad, and…hot dog. How classy. The cupcake, you say? Cake is always classy. Even with a gumdrop on top!

CIMG0243

 

Look at this cute little pie! Oh, how cute. The Scotcheroo was good, too. The rest is just…eh. That’s how I feel a lot of days- I could eat each and every kind of dessert, but none of the “real” food appeals to me. I don’t think this is a loss.

CIMG0244

 

This wasn’t breakfast! Just a crazy dinner day when I decided to go with a waffle. I was pretty proud of my peach/blueberry syrup toppings, with whipped cream even. Except the whipped cream melted.

CIMG0254

 

Vegetable overload!

CIMG0267

 

Mmm...comfort food. Too bad the macaroni and cheese was bland. I tell ya...you've gotta have mustard in it!

CIMG0265

I’m trying to think of something to add here that’s not dumb or cheesy. But maybe it would be fitting…some of the food in these pictures was pretty cheesy.

Oh man! That wasn’t cheesy at all. :)

3 comments:

  1. Yum. you' re lucky to have a cafeteria who serves healthy food :)

    This is quite tempting

    -thea
    tootsiejean.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh man, this brings back so many Charties memories! not necessarily pleasant, but memories none the less :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi - I was searching for ways to 'promote' our blog and I ran across your question from a year or two ago....thought I would take a look and I am thrilled to find that you love Jesus!

    My name is Bobbie and I would really like for you to take a look at our Blog - we are doing a walk-a-thon to earn money for a Missions trip to Romania...and I am not sure if it will help or not, but thought I would try to put the website out in a few different places to get people to take a look.

    http://walkingthemilesforjesus.blogspot.com/

    Thanks - looking forward to reading more blog posts from you!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...