I’ve been working as a lifeguard at Adventure Landing for a week now. I love my job! I worked out great since I don’t actually have to be certified, because I’m only here for two months. I’m usually at the tops of slides telling people when to go, watching the lazy river, or catching little kids at the bottoms of slides. I’m already very tan, which is always nice. :)
Here’s a picture of the park from my first post at the lazy river:
Shipwreck Island:
On duty!
Probably the most intense ride, the Hydro Half Pipe. I have to wear a harness when working up there, so I don’t fall. It’s kinda scary!
A view of the lazy river.
People have asked me why I raised support when I have a job here at JAX. Having this job allows me to help offset the cost of the program, and also have some money for this coming school year. I usually only work during the summer, and use that money I make then throughout the rest of the year. This year it will be less, since I am working less and have to pay for the rest of the program. It’s okay, though! This experience is totally worth it. This job also provides me a place to apply what I’m learning in the program throughout the week. Our first E-challenge (evangelism challenge) was to find a creative way to show Christ’s love to a co-worker. As I was working one day last week, I found out a co-worker of mine doesn’t speak English (only Spanish). That would be why he never talked to me…ha! But I tried to say some simple things to him in Spanish, even though I’ve forgotten a lot since high school. Although simple, I think he appreciated this- I haven’t seen any other employees talk to him, so hopefully it was a nice change.
I encounter many interesting people while working here…I actually talk to the guests while they’re in line, which isn’t always encouraged at a lot of places. Here, though, the lifeguards are definitely encouraged to make conversation with the guests, and even to squirt them with the “Big Squirts” (the water toys sold at AL). It is really fun working here, for sure. You’ll hear more about Adventure Landing soon!

I would like to swim there :)
ReplyDeleteKisses