I find the story of Jonah the prophet in the Bible to be a very interesting story. It's one we've heard since we were tiny kids and often gets looked over. In all actuality, though, it's a pretty amazing story. It is incredible that Jonah even survived after being inside of a huge fish for 3 days. It is also amazing how awesome our God is, that He would allow such a sinful, impossible city to be spared! (I find this to be true with myself, too- God is so amazing and so crazy patient with ME.)
But the book of Jonah doesn't leave me satisfied. After getting to know him so well, finding out his fears and doubts and learning of his adventures along the way, we are left hanging. What happened to Jonah after he pouted and got mad at God for sparing Nineveh? The very end of the book shows God and Jonah talking, after God had caused a vine to grow up and give Jonah shade, and after a worm had come and chewed the vine, causing it to wither. The very last verse says:
"But Nineveh has more than a hundred and twenty thousand people who cannot tell their right hand from their left, and many cattle as well. Should I not be concerned about that great city?"
THE END.
What I want to know is-- what happened to Jonah after that?? Did he continue to prophesy for God? Or did he let his anger get in the way? I am curious to know what took place after this ending scene.
I don't believe it is recorded anywhere else in the Bible, but perhaps it was recorded somewhere else. If not, I guess I'll have to wait until I get to heaven to get my questions answered.
Friday, March 19, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


I asked myself the same questions sooo many times!!! LOL! Its really funny when I think about Jonah's future as a prophet after such an ordeal!....Great Post! Check out my blog sometime: http://generationinspiration.blogspot.com/
ReplyDelete