Or at least just finishes it!
My dear friend Kady (the very same Kady who wrote this post) and I ran the Fun 5K today. We’re not really runners. It’s not really our cup of tea. But we still do this race every year, probably because it really IS fun!
Last year we ran it in 30 minutes. Not too bad…nearly a 4 minute improvement from the previous year. But last year we started off really strong, too fast really, and we ended up having to walk much of the second mile. I had a side cramp most of the way and I remember just wanting it to be over. Near the end, I was feeling pretty good so I breathlessly asked Kady “Do….you…*pause for breathing*…do you mind…if I run ahead? I think I can go faster now.” She said sure, I don’t care. So I started sprinting…there was seriously only about 75 feet to the finish line. But me trying to be a hero…it didn’t work out so well. As they say, “Pride cometh before a fall”…well, I almost fell. My vision started to black out, and I felt dizzy. Definitely not a good sign! So I had to stop and take a breather. Kady ran past with a quizzical look, beating me. Me, the hero! I learned a lesson last year, did not make the same mistake this time around!
So yeah. We paced ourselves well this year. It was kind of tough not running fast and catching up with others ahead of us, but we totally made it the whole way without stopping. All 3.1 miles. I’m not sure of our time, but they’ll be posted soon. Beating our old time would be a nice touch to our accomplishment of running the whole way! We’ll see. :)
Here’s our picture after running the race last year.
And here’s the after shot of today’s race:
Quite a difference! Go us!

No comments:
Post a Comment