Sunday, February 21, 2010

Head in the clouds


I'm the kind of person who tends to dream.

Sometimes it happens during the day...while in class, while eating lunch, while making my bed, and every other time in between. Sometimes it happens at night and I wake up thinking about the strange events that took place in my mind whilst I was slumbering. Whether my dreaming is in my conscious or sub-conscious, it is always there.

Dreaming is a good thing. People always say "Dream big and you will achieve big things." I believe this is true, wholeheartedly. But sometimes having my head in the clouds can be not so good. I tend to become so absorbed in a book or in an event (such as the Olympics) that it's hard to get back to reality. Friends will talk to me but my mind will be elsewhere, and oftentimes I leave them with just an "mmhmm." Then when I can focus again I kick myself for not paying close attention to what they have said or done. This is something I need to work on!

I absolutely love getting lost in a book, where you can forget about your present life (even if everything is going dandy) and see the world from another's perspective. Suddenly you have access to two separate worlds! And I think a big part of why I love figure skating so much is the fact that I can dream about it so fully. I've dreamed about what it would be like to go to the Olympics and win a gold medal since I was eight years old. As each Olympic year came from then on, I wondered if skating would finally lose its magic- it hasn't. I know for sure it never will for me, even when I'm 88! Even though I'll never compete in the Olympics, I can dream and imagine and get lost in the wonder and beauty of skating, as cliche as it is. I've had a connection with skating my whole life and it will continue to be something beautiful and sacred to me always.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...