Friday, February 5, 2010

My Predictions...

If you haven't yet heard, the Olympics are coming up! 
(In exactly a week, to be precise)

In case you haven't picked up the hint from my previous blog postings, my all-time favorite sport is figure skating. I know a lot of people who also enjoy figure skating, saying "I love watching it during the Olympics." The Olympics are a hold-your-breath-this-only-happens-every-four-years type of event. What makes it so exciting for me personally is that I follow skating throughout the entire year, every year. So watching a skater's talent culminate in an Olympic season is very, very exciting! Believe me, I am about as in-depth as a person can go when it comes to this sport- it is my one true passion. 

I have made my predictions about these next Olympics, in regard to figure skating. If you don't know any of the competitors, or if you do and want to see if you agree with me, check out my guesses for gold medalists.

For ice dancing, it's up in the air. There are several teams from North America who could win the event, but I personally think Meryl Davis and Charlie White will come out on top. This U.S. team has peaked this season, and I hope their scores will only get better in the next couple of weeks.


For the men's event, I give the gold medal to the Russian Evgeni Plushenko. He won the Olympics back in 2006 and although he took the last 4 years off, he came back into competition with his renowned skill and power. I believe he can pull it off again...but Canada's Patrick Chan, and Americans Evan Lysacek and Jeremy Abbott could give him a run for his money. This will be an EXCITING event. 


The pairs' event. I was hesitant in picking the winner for this, since the top teams have fluctuated a lot in the past couple of years. My prediction for gold is Aliona Savchenko and Robin Szolkowy from Germany. This event I am the least sure about, since there are 2 Chinese teams that could easily surpass them. I think it's really tough to call, even though I am leaning toward Savchenko and Szolkowy.



Ahhh...the ladies' event. Korean Kim Yu-Na is right on track to win gold...she seems untouchable in both artistry and technicality. Our American skaters are not top contenders, although both are very good. I would probably bet money that Kim will sweep this event, as long as her nerves don't get the best of her (which has not been a problem yet). Other possibilities are Joannie Rochette of Canada and Mao Asada of Japan. There is so much talent in this area, and it's always been my favorite event!


If you cannot tell I am SUPER excited for the Olympics!!! Although February tends to be a dull, monotonous month, every four years it shines. And this year is one of those shiny years...I cannot wait. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...