I had a terrible time coming up with something to write about for today...
But finally, finally, I was inspired. Tonight I was reminded that Christmas is for everyone. Jesus is for everyone.
I had signed up to "share my special talents" at a retirement center nearby in town. This included playing piano and singing...we were not very prepared, but the older folks still loved it! As we stood up front singing our way through second and third verses of songs we weren't very sure of, I had the chance to look around the room at everyone. It kind of amazed me that a bunch of college kids were united with 70, 80, and 90-somethings, all joining in singing the same songs. It was so neat to have that connection!
As I was choosing the songs to play for tonight, I came across a song that I sang on Christmas eve at my grandma's church a few years ago. It's not very well known, but it has a great message- no matter how we picture baby Jesus, we are all still worshiping the same true God. No one knows exactly what he looked like; we can only speculate. It is comforting to know that it does not matter if we picture him as red, brown, yellow, black, or white! I posted the lyrics to the song here:
Some Children See Him
Some children see him lily white,
The baby Jesus born this night.
Some children see him lily white,
With tresses soft and fair.
Some children see him bronzed and brown,
The Lord of heav'n to earth come down.
Some children see him bronzed and brown,
With dark and heavy hair.
Some children see him almond-eyed,
This Savior whom we kneel beside.
Some children see him almond-eyed,
With skin of yellow hue.
Some children see him dark as they,
Sweet Mary's Son to whom we pray.
Some children see him dark as they,
And ah! They love him, too!
The children in each different place,
Will see the baby Jesus' face
Like theirs, but bright with heavenly grace,
And filled with holy light.
O lay aside each earthly thing
And with thy heart as offering,
Come worship now the infant King,
'Tis love that's born tonight!
It doesn't matter what we look like, or how old we are...Jesus is for all.
(P.S.- This is my 100th post!)
Tuesday, December 7, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

Hi there,
ReplyDeleteyou have a very cool looking blog, and I just wanted to leave you a comment. So anyway, I just wanted to see if you would visit my blog. And if you follow me, I will follow you... :)
Jesse